Multicultural Literature 2014
Statistics Gathered by the Cooperative Children's Book Center
School of Education,
University of Wisconsin-Madison
(Questions about this information? Contact CCBC Director Kathleen T. Horning)
The CCBC compiles annual statistics of the number of books it receives by and about people of color. Below are the numbers for 2014:
- 179 books were about Africans/African Americans
- 69 of these were written and/or illustrated by Black book creators
- 15 books were by Black book creators but had no signficant African/African American cultual content.
- 36 books were about American Indians
- 15 of these were written and/or illustrated by Native book creators.
- 2 books were by Native book creators but had no signficant American Indian cultural content
Asian Pacifics and Asian Pacific Americans
- 112 books were about Asian Pacifics/Asian Pacific Americans
- 48 of these were written and/or illustrated by Asian Pacific book creators
- 81 books were by Asian Pacific book creators but had no significant Asian Pacific cultural content
- 66 books were about Latinos
- 36 of these were written and/or illustrated by Latino book creators
- 23 books were by Latino book creators but had no significant Latino cultural content
©2015 Cooperative Children’s Book Center. The above graphics may not be added to or altered in any way without permission.
For more on what we are counting, including the number of books we received each year, visit our annual statistics page on books by and about people of color.