Friends of the CCBC
This active organization with over 350 members publishes the annual CCBC Choices publication, sponsors programs to develop public appreciation for children's literature, and provides funds for many additional projects at the Cooperative Children's Book Center. Anyone interested in children's and young adult literature is welcome to join.
The Friends also publish a newsletter twice a year that provides
information on current Friends activities as well as what is happening
at the CCBC.
The Friends hold a book sale twice a year to raise money for their activities.
Other Friends activities have included:
- Programs in Madison featuring speakers such as Ellen Raskin, Madeleine L'Engle, Katherine Paterson, George Shannon, Patricia McKissack, Margaret Mahy, Vera B. Williams, Gary Paulsen, Jean Fritz, Lois Ehlert, Jean Little, Arnold Adoff, Sharon Creech and Lois Lowry
- Funding for substantial projects in the CCBC's Historical Collection and Alternative Press Collection
- Financial support for the Charlotte Zolotow Award and Lecture and
sale of Charlotte Zolotow Award seals and notecards.
- Volunteer assistance at the CCBC and for Friends' projects
- Gifts to enhance the visual and working environment of the CCBC including the custom-made exhibit case, the restoration and framing of Ed Emberley's Paul Bunyan, banners and shelving units