Friends of the CCBC
This active organization with over 700 members sponsors programs to develop public appreciation for children's literature and provides funds for many projects at the Cooperative Children's Book Center. Anyone interested in children's and young adult literature is welcome to join.
The Friends publisher a newsletter three times a year that provides
information on current Friends activities as well as what is happening
at the CCBC. Frequently, the Friends newsletter includes original "Meet
the Experts" interviews with authors, illustrators, and children's
and young adult literature specialists, as well as occasional newsletter
The Friends hold a book sale twice a year to raise money for their activities.
Other Friends activities have included:
- Programs in Madison featuring speakers such as Ellen Raskin, Madeleine L'Engle, Katherine Paterson, George Shannon, Patricia McKissack, Margaret Mahy, Vera B. Williams, Gary Paulsen, Jean Fritz, Lois Ehlert, Jean Little, Arnold Adoff, Sharon Creech and Lois Lowry
- Funding for substantial projects in the CCBC's Historical Collection and Alternative Press Collection
- Publication, distribution, and sale of CCBC publications such as CCBC Choices as well as notecards, and Charlotte Zolotow Award seals
- Financial support for the Charlotte Zolotow Award and Lecture and
sale of Charlotte Zolotow Award seals and notecards.
- Volunteer assistance at the CCBC and for Friends' projects
- Gifts to enhance the visual and working environment of the CCBC including the custom-made exhibit case, the restoration and framing of Ed Emberley's Paul Bunyan, banners and shelving units